CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

About Me

cream of the crop.. you can find different kinds of students here.. we are simply & humbly BBrC 4-1D..

Monday, October 6, 2008

Federico Quiban Jr.'s Profile


A Student in a Modern Era

by Jemelyn D.G Ambrosio

In this modern era, everywhere you look things seem to change so fast that sometimes it seems like if you bump your head accidentally and you fell into a deep sleep you'll have a difficult time to catch up because everyday something differs from what it used to be. Just like being a student. My mom or generally speaking our parents loves to tell tales on how they used to be a student. How cheap the food and transportation were during their time and so on. It just makes me smile and wonder, is there really a big difference between the student now and the student before? How does it feel to be a student in this time?


Luckily, I was able to answer these troubling questions in mind when I met this round faced, be-dimpled and friendly student named Federico Y. Quiban Jr. a 3rd yr. student at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines and currently taking up Bachelor in Broadcast Communication. When I first learned about the course he was taking I was bit shocked because I thought everyone nowadays took up nursing and so I asked him, why did he take up this course. I didn't notice but a smile formed in my lips as he proudly says "I did a random sampling and I just tried my luck" of course I was a bit puzzled by his answer and maybe it shows my face for the hastily added; " I was not able to go to UST, I was devastated and so I just tried my luck". I didn't ask for further explanation for I fully understand how he felt, I for one experienced the disappointment of not being able to pursue a dream of studying in a university I admire and perhaps the students before us had undergone the same experience. I smiled emphatically towards him and say; perhaps it's your destiny. He replied briefly "maybe.”


In this point in time, my curiosity rises and I asked him he is enjoying his staying in PUP. He looked at me and with twinkling eyes he answered me directly; "Definitely for PUP allows me to be liberated --- in thoughts, words and action. It makes me feel free. “I knew he wasn't lying for I can see it his eyes but something tells me that he yearns for something more and so without thinking I asked him further as if we're two long-lost friends catching up with each other; so what keeps you busy these days, are you part of any organization? "I am advocate of PETA ---- an organization which takes care of animal welfare". How did you become part of PETA? "It started when my professor in Development Communication asked us to feature an NGO and our group chose PETA. I wasn’t really disturbed just by watching their IEC materials and I knew in myself that I have to be a part of this group". Are you a pet lover? "Yes." Aside from having pets what else do you like to do? " I enjoy playing play station and I love to dance. I consider dancing as a sport." How do you picture yourself after 5 years? "I think I'm having a very boring desk job with a very small salary." Isn't that pessimism? “No, it's reality because 5 years is a very short period of time." How about after 10 years? I want to be a producer. I think I will be regarded as cultural enthusiast producer of highly awkward production. "Is that your own established production outlet? "Yes." Do you have any one in mind to be your partner? "Yes, Mr. Bruce Espinas, a member of Banda Kawayan." Why did you choose him? "We share the same ideas in life."


Suddenly a friend of him calls his attention, as they were talking I remember one important question and so after his conversation with his friend I hurriedly asked him, what can you say to those people who are belittling your course? I will tell them that the noblest spirit begins with the smallest man. Even though they think little about our course let them be… let our works speak for itself.” His final answer will forever linger on my mind for he uttered it with confidence and sincerity.


My conversation with my be-dimpled friend leads me to a conclusion that being a student during this time is the same on being a student before. For each have the same spirit, dream and aspirations. Each yearns to fulfill his greatest ambitions and each visualizes themselves as someone successful in their chosen career.


I just hope that the fire and spirit I saw on Federico’s eyes will forever burn so that he will be able to make his dreams into a reality.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

ang cute ng mask!!!! hahaha